Sunday, April 3, 2011

So My Infant Son Dylan was not pleased at Charlie Sheens performance in Detroit

So Dylan, my little boy, and I, the older parent guy that I am, have a ritual on weekend mornings. I sit him in his high chair, strap him in so he doesn't jump out (he has - ouch), and we watch You Tube videos on the family laptop (17 inch Dell monitor).

We usually go to the Teletubbies and other tunes (Roger Miller King of the Road - he likes that a lot!), but this morning I wanted to see the unauthorized uploads of the Detroit show. Sheen was terrible, and it proves my point that being a mad ranter is a hell of a lot different than actually standing in front of a crowd who has paid money to see you, and actually expect SOMETHING.

I mean, Paul McCartney COULD sit in a chair and ramble about the Beatles, take questions, whatever, but he is (Sir) Paul McCartney.

But Charlie Sheen is a has been who had a few good roles, got fired from a tv show and thought that it was enough for the crowd to watch two chicks make out on stage, then burn a shirt.

Good performers know how to put on a show. And they practice. So when Sheen thought he could just do a whole bunch of stupid CRRRRRAAAAAZZZZEEEEEEE antics up there I knew, and everyone (Comic or other performer) else knew as well the cardinal rule:

People do not want to be ASKED what they want to see. They paid so you could take them away from their lives for a little bit and have a good time.

I've seen plenty of Open Mics over the years, and it's uncomfortable to watch the trainwrecks, although I do anyway.

So Dylan is watching Sheen talk while sitting in a chair, and he gets sick of it pretty fast. He throws his banana at the screen. I clean the screen off and throw away the banana muck using a paper towel.

In the short time I was away, he had taken every piece of his mandarin orange pieces and thrown them onto the screen. WHen I get back to where he sits, he is clasping his hands and unclasping them, saying "bye-bye".

Sorry Charlie, but you looked funny with a giant piece of orange mandarin next to your face.

I had to get to the Beatles video "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" from the movie Help.

And now three letters on the keyboard of the family laptop no longer work.

Which means that even an infant could tell the difference between talent and some loser ranting.

Keep your day job Charlie, the theatre takes a little bit more practice. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment